Tuesday 1 October 2013

6 and 9 Weeks Post-Op

10th September
The last few weeks have been punctuated with weekly visits to the Occupational Therapist. I have been exercising my hand regularly and massaging it too. Last week was a bit disappointing as the range of movement I had was still not very good and the OT did seem slightly concerned. She suggested we stop using my dynamic splint a bit early and allow my hand to be out of any splint at home. She encouraged me to start using my hand more as this would help my range of movement. Due to my fingers being especially bad at moving down (using my new knuckles), she also gave me two different resting splints: one which would hold my fingers straight and one which holds them down in the bent-at-the-new-knuckle position. I was to wear them alternate nights in bed and perhaps in the afternoon to rest my hand if it was tired.

However, after a day of being out of my splint, I noticed that my fingers were drifting away from my thumb (the direction they used to drift) and I was a bit concerned by this. When making my splints, the OT had gone to a lot of trouble to ensure my fingers were held in a good, straight position and definitely not drifting away from my thumb.

I gave her a call and she said that I should resume wearing the dynamic splint but continue to try and use the hand as well as continuing with regular exercises and massaging.

When I returned this week, she could see some good progress in my movement and also said that the massage to loosen then skin and scar is having a good effect. She gave me a new, soft splint that I can wear when using my hand if it starts to drift or become tired.


I have finished with the dynamic splint now and should have my hand out and being used all the time at home. We did discuss that when my hand was not being used I should use a resting splint to ensure the fingers stay in  good position. She also mentioned that I may be able to drive again in a couple of weeks but did say that would be down to the surgeon to confirm.

13th September
Today I visited the surgeon and physiotherapist. The surgeon was very positive and had no problem with me returning to work next week. He was especially pleased when he looked at my hand. I was really pleased as he knew how bad it was before! He said straight away how much better the fingers were at extending which was the main difficulty I had before. I have been booked in for a follow-up in six months where I will also have x-rays taken.

The physiotherapy appointment was less useful, unfortunately. She spent a while taking the history of the procedure and my arthritis, then examined my hand, took measurements and suggested exercises. However, all the exercises she suggested are ones I'm already doing because the Occupational Therapist told me to! I have a follow up appointment with her in a month's time.

1st October
I totally didn't post this when I wrote it! I did return to work the following week and have been pretty busy getting back into the swing of things. My hand got quite sore when I first started but it is improving all the time and is also starting to get stronger now.

When I visited the Occupational Therapist today, she was again quite pleased with my progress. I shared with her some specific pains I have been having in my index and little fingers and she looked carefully at those joints. She reassured me that there doesn't seem to be any problem and she thinks it will improve with time. She also adjusted my night time resting splints as my hand has changed shape and size since they were made! She has changed them to ensure my fingers don't drift to the side during the night.

I have tried driving and did mange OK but found it made my hand quite achy. I also couldn't put the handbrake on! I'm going to continue to practise this week and hopefully I will be driving properly by next week.

Here are some up to date hand pictures:

5 comments:

  1. Hey Gwen, thanks for the blog - I'm an orthopaedic surgery frequent flyer (thanks to sport), and I think you captured the uncertainty and effort associated with orthopaedic surgery really well. I wish more of the surgeons had regard for this perspective!! On the other hand, as a medical student, your foot outcomes make me want to be an orthopaedic surgeon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it useful! Good luck with your studies!

      Delete
  2. Hi Gwen, I came across your site through google. Congratulations on a successful surgery!! I had/have RA onset after Lyme disease. I was wondering if you ever looked into Lyme disease as a cause for your RA. I'm very interested because I feel like we are similar since we have the same disease. Have a great day!
    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I have not really looked into any causes for my RA; as far as I'm concerned I was just unlucky. Having googled Lyme disease briefly, I don't think I've ever had it so don't think it could have contributed to my RA.

      Always nice to meet someone who has similar experiences. Hopefully you won't have to undergo any surgeries for your RA!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Gwen! Please post an update about your health! I read your blog in one sitting and would love to hear how you are.

    ReplyDelete