Friday 27 May 2011

Wound Check-Up Number One

Just under a week after my stitches were removed, and just under three weeks after the operation, I returned to the plaster room to have my feet looked at again. I was quite looking forward to seeing how they were doing. We went in pretty quickly and the technician removed the plaster. As she peeled back the soft dressings, I caught sight of the sticky dressings and gasped. It looked horrible - all yellow and brown!


The technician quickly explained that the colour was from the iodine-impregnated dressing that she had put on last time. Phew! She proceeded to remove the adhesive dressings by using the hand sanitiser to break down the stickiness (you can see her doing that in the picture). I love this part, as it feels a little bit like having my feet washed and is quite refreshing!

When they removed the dressings, my feet looked pretty good. They were very happy with my left foot and said they wouldn't need to look at it again. My right foot was still pretty open and, although it didn't look at all infected, they did take a swab to send off to get analysed to be on the safe side. They also put more iodine dressing , but only on the two first wounds as the other two had healed well.



I was told that I would need to come back in another six days to have my feet checked again and also to get the results of the swab. I asked what would happen if there was an infection and was told that I would be prescribed a course of antibiotics. I was relieved that that would be the only consequence but obviously still hoped there wouldn't be an infection at all!

I chose to have pink plaster casts this time and they were a little fluorescent!! I did enjoy them though!



After being reminded about how to look after my feet (keep them up, if they feel hot or cold or sore, ring the plaster room) we were on our way!

1 comment:

  1. I ran into your blog on accident just searching the web, I had bunion surgery on my right foot almost 5 weeks ago, had a hammertoe that he fixed with a pin and a curved toe which was on both feet. You have so much courage to have gotten both feet done at the same time! Wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete