Sunday 5 June 2011

Wound Check-Up Number Two

Six days after the first wound check, I returned to the plaster room for my follow-up appointment. This time, only my right foot was being looked at as my left foot had already been given the all clear. I didn't have high hopes that my right foot would be healed as the progress it had made during the previous six days had been so slow. However, when they removed the plaster and dry dressings, my foot looked very different and had healed much more quickly than previously.



They immediately said that they were really pleased with it and how dry it looked. They also told me that the swab they'd sent off hadn't grown anything so there was definitely no infection! Good news all round!


Before they re-plastered my foot, they decided to remove some dried blood which had built up in between my middle toe and the toe to the right. As they did this, they found some wet and were worried that they had uncovered some of the original wounds from surgery. However, we were all pretty confident that the original wounds hadn't gone between my toes. One of the plaster room team went to see if my surgeon could come and have a look and the other kept looking at the foot.

Soon they realised that there was actually a blister in between the two toes and that this had maybe leaked and caused the dried gunk between the toes. The surgeon did then come in and agreed that it was a blister and not a problem. It was very nice to see her and for her to have a look at my foot and how it was healing. She was really pleased with how it looked. She also removed some blood which had dried underneath one of my toenails and had been annoying me for ages!



They decided to put some silicone over the sore skin to protect it and prevent another blister forming. You can see it in the picture above. This meant I would need to return to the plaster room the following week to have it changed, which I was quite pleased about because it meant I would get another trip out!

Finally it was time to have my new plaster applied. I fancied having different coloured feet and wanted a colour I hadn't had before so I chose yellow but it turned out to be more like luminous green!


In this picture you can see my lovely walking shoe as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment