Thursday 14 July 2011

Week 11 Roundup

The most exciting thing to happen this week was the last scab on my right foot coming off. It happened on Tuesday as I was putting my socks on. The scar tissue looked very odd when the scab first fell off; it was almost concave! It also looked wet, which I gather isn't great news from what the plaster room technicians told me. However, when I patted it with gauze, it came away dry and I realised that the scar itself was just very shiny and reflective.


By the next morning, the scar had raised up a bit so now it is nearly smooth. I'm really pleased to have the scab off as now I can wash the foot properly and put moisturiser all over without having to avoid bits for fear of knocking off the scab! Unfortunately, the last scab on my left foot is staying put for now.

This week I have also been thinking about how mobile I am and how my feet are developing. I decided that I have been a little too tentative in my recovery and have focused too much on keeping my feet elevated and rested. I have been making a concerted effort to keep my feet down more, even if this means they get a bit swollen. I have learnt that the swelling goes down quickly once I elevate them again and I figure that they need to go through this process in order to eventually not swell when they are down.

As part of this, I wore trainers yesterday for the first time and my husband took me to school to watch the Leavers' Concert! It was great to see the children performing and I was also pleased that I kept my feet down for a long time with not too much discomfort. They were pretty swollen when we got home but the swelling did go down quickly once I put my feet up.

So, here is what they look like now:


You can see that the scar from the last scab looks much better now and has relaxed a bit. You can also see that my feet are a bit more swollen than they were in the past but I think this just shows that I am using them more at the moment.


The last remaining scab has got a bit smaller I think and is definitely coming away around the edges but it's still not ready to come off! The hard skin I had under my feet has also almost gone now. The skin feels smooth and there is no hard lump but the skin there is a bit different than the rest of my foot somehow. I guess it will take a while to go back to normal.

At some point soon (probably when the final scab has come off), I'm looking forward to going shopping for some new shoes! I was almost disappointed that my old trainers still fitted me but it was odd because there were big dents in the sole from my callouses and now they're gone the shoes are a but uncomfortable.

This weekend I'm looking forward to seeing the new Harry Potter film (another reason for me upping my activity levels and keeping my feet down more was in preparation for the trip to the cinema!) and also my friends from university are coming to visit on Sunday. I'm very excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment